The goal of book coaching is to guide and support authors as they find a writing and revising process that works for them, the story they want to tell, and their lifestyle. We offer two packages for coaching, based on word count. However, if you have something else in mind, we are very open to discussing options as we are big believers in finding processes that work for individuals.
Book coaching and working with editors is like taking a college course tailored to you, to help you reach your writing and author career goals. In other words, this is one-on-one training, rather than attempting to squeeze yourself into a one-size-fits-none program 😉
Who it’s for:
- Anyone looking for accountability and professional guided support throughout the drafting or revising of their manuscript.
- Writers who want a cleaner first draft.
- Writers who are frustrated with the revision or writing process.
- Seasoned authors looking to level up their storytelling or searching for a new process to a completed manuscript.
- People with a book idea who don’t know where to start.
How it works:
- To get started, hit the button to schedule a free 5-10 minute chat, or reach out by email. Jolene@waypointauthors.com or Megan@waypointauthors.com
- Materials need to be in our inbox before Monday morning on the scheduled conversation week, so we have time to make notes within the manuscript before we meet.
- Zoom or phone meetings will be scheduled for Wednesday or Thursday of that same week.
- 45 – 60 minute chat via phone, Facetime, or Zoom.
- Questions that can be answered in less than 5 minutes are welcome between sessions. Please give us 24 hours for response, as we can often be found in the mountains without service 😉
- For questions that require more time, we are very happy to offer coaching clients a discount on regular chats, which can be found HERE. Or, you can save up those questions for our scheduled session.
- Again, if you have something different in mind than the packages listed below, we are very happy to open a discussion on what that could look like.
Package 1: Up to 8,000 words, 2 meetings a month, $400/month, 3-month minimum
Package 2: Up to 12,000 words, 2 meetings a month, $600/month, 3-month minumum
What should I expect in my first coaching session? Our first session will be working together to talk about your publication goals as well as going over the worksheet of questions we sent your way. We’ll make sure we have good avenues and methods for communication, and we’ll set goals for your first two weeks 🙂
What does a typical coaching session look like? We’ll start off by going over any questions you may have, as well as reviewing the goals set in the previous session. We’ll go over the pages you sent in and make sure you have a solid revision path moving forward. We’ll then set actionable goals to help you move forward in your manuscript and prepare you for writing over the next two weeks.
What genres and categories do we coach? Story is story, structure is structure…Both Megan and Jo have experience in everything from MG to YA to adult, and we have both worked in many genres. If we don’t feel we’re the best fit, we will let you know. We are open to non-fiction, depending on the project.
Can you guarantee publication and success? Uh, nope. The book world is finicky. If we could guarantee success, we’d be writing this F.A.Q. section from the bow of our Caribbean-bound sailboat 😉
Can you guarantee a finished manuscript? That’s on you, friend. We will do everything in our power to help you reach the end of your book, but in the end…the words are your words, and if you want to reach the end of your book, you have to write them.
How is hiring a book coach different from a critique group? Jolene and Megan have a combined more than two decades of writing, editing, and publishing experience. We have specific times reserved just for you and your project. Our goal is to help you keep your story YOURS, true to YOUR vision, and we have a load of experience helping authors maintain their voice and vision for their story. While critique groups are fabulous, having so many voices from friends who are distracted with their own vision, own lives, and own schedules can take away from the suggestions for your story.
Why is there a three-month minimum? A few reasons. First off, we want to make sure we have the time and energy for your project. Stability helps us create that time and energy. Second, we put a lot of brain power into your book between our sessions, and two sessions isn’t enough to give you more than a jumping off point. You are welcome to book us for individual chats if a three-month contract doesn’t work for you, or if all you need is a good shove toward completion. Those chats can be found HERE.
Privacy and Service Policy
- Payment is expected on the first of each month.
- Payment and session is forfeit if you cancel within 72 hours of appointment.
- Any re-scheduling of session must be done at least 24 hours before appointment.
- You are welcome to record our session for your personal use.
- Three-month minimum. Payment of first invoice is acceptance of the three-month agreement.
No details/ideas/theories from your career, manuscript, nor your personal information will be shared with any outside parties unless we have your express permission. Your manuscript, as well as any notes, will be emailed and then deleted from our computers and backups.
Paying your invoice is an acceptance of this timeline and Service Policy.