Your Waypoint Roadmap
First off, congratulations on your choice to dig into your fiction writing career! You ended up here for a reason. Maybe it’s because you sought us out or perhaps you were searching online and happened across us.
Either way it’s amazing that you took this step to try to understand how to make the most of your publishing and get your amazing books in the hands of readers who need them.
The best way to start with Waypoint is to understand who we are and what we do. Essentially we are two publishing professionals who were tired of seeing talented authors getting lost in the noise of publishing. We help you own your writing, take control of your career, and find the readers who need you–all while minimizing your overwhelm and streamlining the process.
Try us out
Grab our free Dreams to Goals guide, where you’ll get exercises on how to take your publishing dreams and turn them into simple and actionable writing goals.
If you’re looking for a simple guide to make sure your story is on the right track, you can check out our Story Roots Idea Checker. Get the first step to making sure your newest project is ready to draft or find a new way to look at an existing project.
After you have some wild dreams and solid goals, head over to the (also free) Author Traction Challenge and take back control over your publishing career. Shifting your mindset from Reactive Mode to Proactive mode has never been simpler as we guide you back to the center of your career. Your values drive you, your author promise is authentic, your readers relate to you, you are showing up only where you shine, and your style is reflective of your badass self. We’ll see you there 🙂
Ready to really dig in to your stories now that you’re in control of your dreams, goals, and brand? We have a series of workbooks designed for the DIY author. These are far more than simple worksheets, but are guides created by authors with a combined twenty-fives years of experience. You can find those guides HERE.
Get the Guidance You Need
Everyone needs the support of their community, and we believe that writing and publishing is better together. With combined experience of over two decades, and dozens of books published, we can save you time, stress, and money so you can reach your potential as a fiction author without the common mistakes and traps that capture so many of us.
Our author chats can get you centered and focused around your story, platform, or marketing. Each call is directed by what YOU need and together we identify the step you need to take based on what you’re working on, your struggles, and your life circumstances. Zero cookie-cutter, one-size nonsense.
We can give you the guidance you need to finish that book, level-up your career, bust out of that marketing rut, or get the attention you need on your book. We work with traditional and indie authors and specialize in finding individual solutions to suit individual writers. Keep getting requests on your manuscript from agents but no offers yet? We can get to the heart of the story and help up your submission game. Is your new indie release not getting the readership and reviews it deserves? We can help you craft a winning marketing plan that will speak to your ideal readers.
Waypoint has big plans for the future and understands that each author is in a unique position when it comes to building and maintaining a career in fiction. The markets are ever-changing, the world is a rollercoaster, and there is a lot of work to be done.
In the meantime…
Be sure to check out our articles of heart-centered and action packed tips, tricks, and shifts to help you rock your next project, find your true people, and get your book looking the best it can.
- Why Working With a Pro Cover Designer Matters for Your Book Marketing and SalesReaders judge books by their covers. If you’re a self-published author, it’s crucial to hire a pro cover designer to help your book get the attention it deserves. If you’re a traditionally published author, your publisher will handle all aspects of your publishing, including hiring your cover designer. As a trad author, you may not get a say in this aspect of the creative … Read More Why Working With a Pro Cover Designer Matters for Your Book Marketing and Sales
- The Freefall: Letting Go Of Perfectionism During DraftingSending an imperfect (or even *gasp* incomplete) first draft to your editor feels a little bit like getting pushed out of an airplane before you’ve psyched yourself up for the jump. I know this because I recently turned an incomplete first draft in to MY editor, Allie (in case you haven’t already seen or heard me mention this, Allie and Jo are my editors … Read More The Freefall: Letting Go Of Perfectionism During Drafting
- How Layering Your Edits Can Make the Revision Process SmootherWhen it comes to editing your book, there’s more than one approach to the revision process. Some writers work through their manuscript from beginning to end, in chronological order. Others might work backward, one chapter at a time. Another efficient way to conduct revisions is by layering your edits. Let’s consider what layering your edits might look like. How to Determine Your Editing Layers … Read More How Layering Your Edits Can Make the Revision Process Smoother
- Writing Disabled Characters: 3 Tropes to AvoidWith the rise of social media and the internet, marginalized groups have been able to create online platforms and share their experiences. With all of this new information cycling the web, and authors wanting to diversify their casts of characters, it can be difficult to make sure that you are representing a character that is a member of a marginalized group in a respectful … Read More Writing Disabled Characters: 3 Tropes to Avoid
- Creative Control in Self-Publishing: What Does it Really Mean?There are many different reasons authors choose to self-publish. One of the most prominent is the idea of creative control. Many self-published authors are invested in retaining a greater amount of control over their published works than a traditional publisher might allow. But what does creative control really mean, and what does it consist of? While self-publishing is right for many authors, there … Read More Creative Control in Self-Publishing: What Does it Really Mean?
- DIY Workbook: A+ Submission PacketReady to start querying agents and/or publishers? We got you. The A+ Submission Packet walks you through the following: Checking the Market for the viability of your novel Creating a pitch that an industry professional can’t ignore Building a query letter to capture attention Writing a synopsis that will best showcase your story Discovering a personal bio that connects you to your work How … Read More DIY Workbook: A+ Submission Packet
- DIY Workbook: Write Better Stories SeriesAllie and Jo are passionate about helping quality stories find their place the world. We created this series of workbooks to give intermediate authors a series of questions and checklists to strengthen the following: Write a Better Story Create a Better Character Construct Better Tension Build a Better Romance Write a Better Story walks you through the steps to create stories with the kind … Read More DIY Workbook: Write Better Stories Series